Become a 4-H volunteer
Who can volunteer?
We welcome adults and youth to volunteer with 4-H. You need not be a parent, a 4-H alum or an expert! The information below is for adult volunteers.
To volunteer as a youth, talk with your local 4-H office staff.
Adult volunteers must be more than one year past high school (usually age 19). Adult volunteers who wish to chaperone must be at least 21 years old.
Some roles, like club leadership or overnight chaperones, require screening. Check with local 4-H staff on requirements for your volunteer role.
Here's the screening process for adult 4-H volunteers
Before you start, READ OUR SCREENING GUIDE. We have online or paper options for each step.
STEP A: Application
- ONLINE: Download an application to print, fill out and sign
- PAPER: Request a copy from your local 4-H office
- FYI: Code of Conduct and Terms of Agreement
A handwritten signature is required. Submit signed applications to your local 4-H office via email, fax, mail, or in person.
STEP B: Background check
- ONLINE: Read our instructions, then submit online through The McDowell Agency, our screening vendor
- ONLINE/PAPER: Print a Background Check Release that you can mail or fax (address and fax number on page 2)
- PAPER: Request a copy of the Background Check Release form at your local 4-H office
- FYI: What's covered in a background check?
STEP C: Orientation
NOTE: This training works best with a desktop/laptop computer or with an Android mobile device
Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing of screening materials. We will notify you when your screening is complete.
You must be approved BEFORE beginning to serve as a volunteer.