Become a 4-H volunteer
Who can volunteer?
We welcome adults and youth to volunteer with 4-H. You need not be a parent, a 4-H alum or an expert! The information below is for adult volunteers.
To volunteer as a youth, talk with your local 4-H office staff.
Adults who wish to chaperone must be at least 21 years old.
Here's the screening process for adult 4-H volunteers
Before you start, READ OUR SCREENING GUIDE. We have online or paper options for each step.
STEP A: Application
- ONLINE: Download an application to print, fill out and sign
- PAPER: Request a copy from your local 4-H office
- FYI: Code of Conduct and Terms of Agreement
A handwritten signature is required. Submit signed applications to your local 4-H office via email, fax, mail, or in person.
STEP B: Background check
- ONLINE: Read our instructions, then submit online through The McDowell Agency, our screening vendor
- ONLINE/PAPER: Print a Background Check Release that you can mail or fax (address and fax number on page 2)
- PAPER: Request a copy of the Background Check Release form at your local 4-H office
- FYI: What's covered in a background check?
STEP C: Orientation
NOTE: This training works best with a desktop/laptop computer or with an Android mobile device
Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing of screening materials. We will notify you when your screening is complete.
You must be approved BEFORE beginning to serve as a volunteer.